Sunday, September 19, 2010

Redstone Liquors Grand Tasting

            Redstone Liquors held their semi-annual Grand Tasting yesterday at their store on Rt. 28 in Stoneham, MA. The number of beers being served were in the double digits, and representatives were present from Troegs Brewing Co. and the Haverhill Brewery, among others. The event was free, of course, but if my experience was any indication, "free" didn't exactly translate to "no money spent". Buying the full size bottle after you've sampled and enjoyed the fun size version is just simple human nature after all,  the tried and true samples-at-the-grocery-store strategy, and it appeared to be bringing in a lot of business for Redstone yesterday. Though I spent a lot of time contributing to Redstone's bottom line, selecting several different beers for purchase, I did, however, find the time to sample a few interesting beers I hadn't had the chance to try before.  One notable brew to mention was Southern Tier Pumpking, which is argued by many to be the best pumpkin ale on the market. It tastes very much like spicy Pumpkin Pie, and at 9% ABV, it definitely warms you up like a slice right out of the oven. This beer is only sold in 22 oz. bombers, and two of the people I attended the event with picked up bottles for themselves. I definitely recommend it, even if you are gourd-phobic; it's fall after all - you just got to try at least one pumpkin ale this season. 
          Redstone also had a few special beers on their shelves yesterday, available only for purchase and restricted to one bottle per person. Autumn Maple and Rugbrod from the Bruery were included in this selection, as were Dogfish Head My Antonia and Burton Baton. I picked up a bottle each of both of the Bruey's offerings, having already tried and loved Rugbrod and hoping to feel the same way about the Autumn Maple. I also picked up a 6-pack of North Coast Old Rasputin, my go-to stout and my dad's favorite, as well as the bottle of Dogfish Head Bitches Brew that I had been on a waiting list for and that had come in a few days earlier. Overall, I ended up dropping a pretty penny at the tasting event, but was certainly in good company. One attendee confided in me that he had been putting money away for the past month, knowing he was going to be making a huge purchase yesterday. Even non-craft beer devotees, like two of the friends I brought along with me, ended up giving in and buying a six pack or two. Again, it's just human nature.... if you like something and it's right there in front of you, you just gotta go for it. 
            The Grand Tasting was a great event and a really fun time for everyone who stopped by. Though they won't be doing another tasting at this magnitude until the spring, Redstone does put on smaller beer tastings featuring two or three breweries on a pretty regular basis, with the next one coming up on September 24th. I wouldn't wait until the next tasting to check out this store though - they were written up recently in Northshore Magazine as having the best beer selection in the area, and as your resident beer guru, I can attest that this is totally true. The guys that work in the store are extremely knowledgeable, friendly and helpful as well, which is one of the main reasons besides their selection that I am so loyal to them. As I said, Redstone is located on Rt. 28 in Stoneham, right off of 95; whether it takes you 10 minutes or 2 hrs to get there, I say pack up and head over right now. Tell them Suzy Six Pack sent you... you definitely will not be disappointed. 




To find out more, check out Redstone's website: http://www.redstoneliquors.com

1 comment:

  1. I had Smirnoff Ice/Triple Black it was so sweet it's almost like drinking regular soda or juice. I liked it as I don’t prefer alcohol taste much.

    ReplyDelete